French/Iranian-American Deborah Afshani‘s initiation onto the fashion landscape began in the New York offices of Harper’s Bazaar, Vogue Italia and W, immediately after passing the California Bar and becoming an attorney. Born with a discerning tastemaker vision and an insatiable appetite for culture and aesthetics, she knew in her heart that corporate life wasn’t in the cards. She recognized this in herself back then– and years later Condé Nast did too.
Today, Afshani is known for her ability to get difficult and time-sensitive projects off the ground — and materialized into beautifully visualized magazine layouts. She has the enviable and coveted position as an editorial stylist —Condé Nast (Vanity Fair, W, etc.) being one of her biggest clients. She styles celebrities such as a Brat Pitt, Lupita Nyong’o, Reese Witherspoon, Ethan Hawke and endless more.
WHO IS DEBORAH AFSHANI?
She is a career woman, a cultural tastemaker, a yogi, an attorney and now a mom — doing it all with grace and class and calm. Afshani is reminiscent of a French movie actress…. berry-stained lips and without a splash of spilled breast milk on her couture. Even her Hollywood home is Pinterest perfect. To me she is an elegant, sophisticated Martha Stewart — but who is precise and deliberate and gorgeous (and fit).
Modesty being one of her most beautiful assets, Afshani abhors attention on herself . She prefers to save any shining light for her baby, her man, her designers, her photographers, her subjects. She does her craft in the background — then steps away for others to see.
This amazing woman should and could have a book on etiquette, style, parenting. Until then – here, she shares with us her tips on trends, products and multitasking.
What would be your 5 style trends to watch for this Spring?
I have to be honest, I’m not big on trends. I believe in instinct over trends, but there are a few that jump out at me for spring:
1. Bucket bags. (Mansur Gavriel is the go-to bag of the moment. They make pretty color combinations so you can get a simple black or navy with a red inside…fun little detail and pop of color.)
2. SEVENTIES. (Yes, the caps are intentional.) I almost feel too obvious and cliche mentioning it, but can’t just ignore it either…every variation you can imagine…suede and leather vests, trenches and large lapel jackets, printed boho dresses, white hippie ethereal ones, denim, platforms, patchwork, minidresses, fringe. And this one is here to stay for a while. The fall/winter collections kept it going!
5. Military Style Pieces in Army Green. This isn’t the first time this trend has popped up. Military/utilitarian jackets and pants are around a lot — but this season, it is back again and stepped up. Fun pockets, silhouettes and detailing. Check out the Marc Jacobs collection to see what I mean.
What are your top 5 favorite products ( and/or designers) for your toddler?
1. For bath: California Baby lavender shampoo and baby wash, Weleda calendula toothpaste, coconut oil (good for everything!!! I use it too…and it smells like vacation!)
2. For clothes: I feel like consignment shops are the only way to go since they grow so quickly!! Bluebird is my go-to in LA, and Flying Squirrel in NY (Williamsburg, actually). Both are amazing!!! Bonpoint, Petit Bateau, Flora+Henri, Anthem of the Ants and Baby Gap are my go-tos. And I have scored some adorable kids Chloe, Marni and Celine at these shops too. We always look in both the girls and boys sections.
5 Tips to Multitask as Mom/Career Woman
1. Carve out time for yourself. I know it sounds impossible at times but you will see that it works wonders!. I get up before Jon and Avery to work out, have a cup of coffee, go through emails and map out the day ahead — even if it means getting up at 4am. I know it sounds crazy, but having this time invigorates me and makes me more effective (and happy!) for the entire day.
Thank you, Deborah!